Friday, June 5, 2015

BRASS BONANZA!

I finally figured out what the song was that I loved in NHL '94. It's a tune that I just took to as a kid, and it turns out it has some history and tradition to it besides just being a catchy tune. I decided today was going to be the day that I went searching for it on the interwebs.

The song or tune is called 'Brass Bonanza' and apparently what I was hearing those 20+ years ago in my friends basement next door was occurring when the now defunct Hartford Whalers were in play.

I had no idea that back in those days, EA Sports actually hired professional organist Dieter Ruehle to do unique organ songs for each arena. For that era; in a video game, well that's back when EA Sports really did put it in the game if it was in the game. Those days are now sadly gone. Here's a really cool blog post with an interview with Ruehle that helped me track this down on YouTube.

Here's an NHL.com article about The legacy of Brass Bonanza, where it's called the most famous song in the sport.

And finally, here it is. Starting at 1:26 in the below video. As it was said in one of the descriptions I saw on YouTube: 'The Classics never die'.

No comments:

Scores