Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Book Review: A Matter of Inches (by Clint Malarchuk)


A lot of people know Clint Malarchuk for one reason and one reason only (if you're my age anyways and haven't watched the game dating back to the 80's):



My buddy at work Darryl played hockey in the minors for a long time. He always used to call me Clint Malarchuk.

When I was looking for a book to read this summer, I wanted a baseball book. Instead, I picked up Malarchuk's book and found a story more about life than hockey; with some great hockey tales mixed in.

I have a lot in common with Malarchuk unfortunately. The man struggles with OCD, and I think I do as well. I'm more convinced with reading this book that I have a form of it.

The book made me miss hockey season, and had me feeling excited for the start of next season as the 2014-2015 season ends. I crushed this book in about a week.

I found it to be a great story of perseverance, toughness, struggle, and real-life. Malarchuk is a good honest man that trouble found, and he is like me; he seems to fail time and again but he simply will not quit. He fights sobriety and illness with the same tenacity he used to carve out a great hockey career.

This is a powerful story of bravery with some nice hockey tales mixed in. All-in-all, one of my favorite hockey reads ever (probably top five all-time). I have such respect for Mr. Malarchuk as a person.

No comments:

Scores