Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Learning the Edmonton Oilers

I know the Edmonton Oilers roll with young guns. That's why they appeal to me. I want to root for a shitty team that doesn't have a bunch of bandwagon fans and watch the kids grow up in front of my eyes.

As I try and get my hand around the roster--here's what an Edmonton fan had to tell me today:

First year NHL'ers Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle are the Oilers best players most nights, this speaks volumes about the rest of the forwards on this team. They need to tank this year as well as moving a body or two out in exchange for picks at the deadline to improve their options this coming June. Two more top five picks could signal the end of the rebuild here 300kms north of the sad sack Suckville Flames.

I think that Bos/Tor pick is available, the Bruins are close, sending them Penner and whatever else they want to help push them over the top this year is a possibility, the Oilers may have to take a player or two back but as long as we get that pick, they could pretty much have anyone of this roster not named Hall, Eberle and perhaps Paajarvi.

Hemsky and Gagner to the Islanders for their first pick this June. The Islanders have along history of knee jerk moves....Hemsky and Gagner could be that ticket to that other top 5 pick.

I'd even do both moves if it were possible, as long as one comes through we should be set with our own pick this coming June as well.

I'll be back to blog about the game against the Sabres tonight. I'm going to try and watch it on Channelsurfing.net.

No comments:

Scores