Sunday, February 27, 2011

Starting reading 'Tough Guy' by Bob Probert

I started reading Tough Guy: My Life on the Edge by Bob Probert today. I didn't buy the book, but it will have me making frequent returns to the local Barnes & Noble bookstore to keep getting through pages of what began as an epic tale of booze, fighting, and all out hockey talk.

The review I linked to really says it best.

Tough Guy is the no nonsense expose of Bob Probert’s life written with Kirstie McLellan Day. Its part Animal House and part Slap Shot. This is a story of a time in sports that is so different from today that it’s hard to believe that it was only a couple decades ago. Probert was such a hard party machine that he would stay out all night, till 7 A.M. dress for practice and play that night. He was a smoker. He microwaved his urine to fool the testers into thinking it had just come out of his body and yet he occupies some interesting spots in the record books.

And that's why I loved it thus far. So many books I need to read, so little time. It's amazing that Probert lived as long as he did. He sounds like a guy who knew that he wasn't built to live 80 years and be on social security, and it probably didn't matter to him.

It's looking like one Hell of a book.

No comments:

Scores