Sunday, February 6, 2011

My first live Edmonton Oilers game

Last night I went to my first live Oilers game here in Columbus. I have to say; getting to see this kid play live really does justice to how special he is. I know we lost but the main take-home message I left with is we have one possible future superstar, and two possible future young stars in MPS and Ebs (although Ebs didn't have a great game).

In regards to Hall: he looks so explosive on the ice. He looks like he has a body that he's going to grow into. He could get bigger and start to impose some size with that unreal speed. He looks like he is going to be a guy who creates unlimited amounts of scoring chances for a number of years. He is a generational type talent and the type of guy who can bring fans to the sport.

What I love is that being there live I watched him after some passes that were intercepted into the zone. I know some think the vets could care less but this is not the case with Hall. He genuinely was getting pissed off when there were turnovers or penalties and generally missed opportunities.

I just want to say that getting to see him and Paajarvi up close is totally different than watching them from thousands of miles away on TV each night. If I lived in Edmonton I would go to the rink every night just to see these guys play on a nightly basis.

I'll continue to post some observations that I had from my 1st game last night; but what a great sport in person. I'm hoping to one day get up to Edmonton in a week where I can catch 3 or so Oilers games live. Until then I'm going to see them every time that they play here in Columbus. I just think we should count our blessings on Hall. He is every bit the talent that past 1st overalls have been--and he can turn into a Crosby type I think.

Magus Paajarvi had two goals last night. And other than Hall he stood out to be as far as the way he moved up and down the ice.

Honestly it reminds me of when I first started going to Major League baseball games live. It was like the most fascinating thing I've ever done and I was addicted to every part of it. That's how I am now with hockey. I'm addicted to the atmosphere and watching it up top. It's a good thing that I don't live closer to Edmonton where I can go to the stadium every night by myself because I would be looking to do just that.

I love just watching the physicality, the skill, the passing, hearing the puck clap on the sticks.

Above there is Jordan Eberle with Taylor Hall in the background. These two guys should be the anchors in this franchise and getting it back to becoming a winner.

Here's a few videos from warm-up:



No comments:

Scores